How should I negotiate taking on a former colleague’s responsibilities?

0
0
Asked By MellowCedar42 On

For the past two years, I've been the Infrastructure Lead for two companies in the same group. Until recently, the team included an IT Manager, a Security Lead, me, and two support staff members. The Security Lead was dismissed last week, and my manager now wants me to take over the unfinished security-related work, including inventory, access management, contingency planning, antivirus administration, endpoint management, and audit preparation. He plans to compensate me using a 10% raise that had already been approved months ago for my existing responsibilities. I don't think that raise should be treated as payment for taking on an entirely different role. I'm considering telling him that I'd need a separate offer, along with a clear reduction in my current workload or additional staff. How would you approach this?

4 Answers

Answered By QuietMarble6 On

Before the audit and the manager’s leave, create a written handover and risk list. Record each inherited task, its current status, deadlines, missing documentation, required access, and anything that has not been verified. Then ask the manager to decide which existing commitments are delayed, who approves changes, and who handles escalations while they’re away. That turns the discussion from a vague request into a concrete workload and accountability negotiation.

Answered By CopperLynx27 On

Don’t treat the already-approved 10% raise as compensation for a new job. Ask for the additional responsibilities, expectations, authority, duration, and compensation in writing. You should also negotiate what current work will be postponed or delegated, because a larger raise does not make it realistic to perform two full-time roles indefinitely.

MellowCedar42 -

That’s my main concern. I could help stabilize things temporarily, but I can’t realistically keep all my existing work while taking on the security role as well.

Answered By BrightOtter81 On

This could be useful leverage, but an outright refusal may carry some risk, especially after the company has already eliminated a position. I’d counter rather than simply say no: request a substantially higher increase, a temporary acting title or permanent title change, and an analyst or other support resource. If they won’t make a reasonable offer, start treating the situation as a sign to move on.

MellowCedar42 -

I’m already exploring other opportunities and have some savings, so I’m prepared to push back. I’m thinking of asking for at least 50% if they expect me to absorb the entire role.

Answered By SilverKite39 On

You may decide to accept temporarily if the money or experience is worthwhile, but don’t silently absorb the work. Get the scope and end date documented, make clear that the previous raise was for your existing role, and keep your job search active. If they expect permanent responsibility without meaningful compensation or staffing, it’s reasonable to decline or leave rather than become responsible for an audit failure caused by an impossible workload.

Related Questions

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.