I'm considering replacing my RX 7900 XT with an Nvidia RTX 5080 mainly for DLSS 4 and future features, stronger ray-tracing performance, and what I feel has been an unnecessarily frustrating driver experience with my current card. I know GPU prices are high, and with the holidays approaching I'm worried they may increase further. Would it make more sense to buy the RTX 5080 now, or wait for prices and availability to settle?
4 Answers
Before upgrading, figure out what performance problem you’re actually trying to solve. The 7900 XT is still a very capable card, so the upgrade may be expensive for a relatively modest improvement in normal rasterized gaming. The 5080 makes more sense if ray tracing, DLSS, or specific Nvidia software features are important to you.
If you genuinely want the card and can afford the difference, there’s nothing wrong with buying it now. Some people will call any upgrade wasteful, but your priorities matter. I’d mainly make sure the card fits your case, your power supply can handle it, and you’re choosing a model with a good cooler and warranty.
If you’ve already decided that the 5080’s features are worth the cost and you’ll use them, buying now is reasonable. GPU prices don’t always fall quickly, and holiday demand could push some models higher. Just compare several retailers and manufacturers instead of grabbing the first card you see.
I’d avoid making the decision purely because you expect prices to rise. Set a price you’re comfortable paying, then buy if you find a 5080 at or below that number. Otherwise, waiting is fine unless you urgently need the extra features or performance.

That makes sense. I’m mostly interested in ray tracing and DLSS rather than just getting a small boost in regular rasterized performance.