My GTX 1050 Ti is showing its age, and I'm considering a GPU upgrade before building a completely new system in the future. I'd like to spend around €600, preferably less, although I could go higher if the extra performance is genuinely worthwhile.
My current setup is:
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
- GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti
- RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 Corsair
I want to be ready for demanding upcoming games, including The Witcher 4, and would like a graphics card that can carry over into a future platform upgrade. Should I buy a GPU now, or wait for the next generation in the hope that current card prices fall? What models offer the best long-term value around this budget?
I realize the Ryzen 5 3400G will bottleneck a modern GPU, but I'm considering upgrading the graphics card first and replacing the CPU and platform later rather than spending the entire €1,200 or more at once. I'm based in Portugal, where hardware prices can be high, though I may be able to buy from other European countries.
3 Answers
A Radeon RX 9070 or 9070 XT would be a major upgrade and should provide plenty of performance for modern games. Either would be dramatically faster than the GTX 1050 Ti, although your 3400G may prevent the card from reaching its full potential in some games.
It may be worth upgrading the CPU first, since the 3400G is based on an older Zen+ design. If your motherboard supports it, a Ryzen 5 5600 or Ryzen 7 5700X would be a sensible value upgrade. Pair that with a card such as an RX 9060 XT 16GB or better, depending on pricing. A used Ryzen 7 5800X3D and used RTX 3080 could also be a strong option if you find reliable deals, though power consumption and condition should be checked carefully.
With a €600 budget, almost any current midrange or higher-end card will feel like a huge improvement. The main concern is that the Ryzen 5 3400G will become the limiting component, especially at lower resolutions or high refresh rates. Waiting for a new GPU generation could make sense if you’re not in a hurry, since older cards may become cheaper, but there’s no guarantee that prices will drop significantly.

I’m in Portugal, so local prices are often inflated, but I may be able to buy from elsewhere in Europe. I know the CPU will hold the card back; I’m thinking it may be easier to spend about €600 now and another €600 later than pay for the entire upgrade at once.