My current 1TB SSD is already full, so I'm considering adding a larger NVMe drive. The options I'm looking at are a 2TB Crucial T500 for €290, a 2TB WD Black SN850X for €320, or a 2TB Samsung 990 Pro for €360. I also found 4TB drives, including the Samsung 9100 Pro for €517 and the Crucial T710 for €510. Are those reasonable prices for 4TB, or would it make more sense to wait for Black Friday? I have a sim-racing setup plus several other games, so I could realistically use more than 2TB. At the same time, I'd be hoping to find a 4TB drive closer to €300 if possible.
3 Answers
It may also be worth checking reputable second-hand or peer-to-peer listings for unopened NVMe drives. People sometimes sell new-in-box models below retail, although you should verify the drive’s condition, warranty, and seller reliability before buying. Availability and pricing can vary a lot across Europe.
The main question is whether you genuinely need 4TB of fast storage. Games and sim-racing installs can definitely take up several terabytes, but movies, documents, music, and other less frequently accessed files could go on a hard drive to save money. You can also keep your existing 1TB drive and add a 2TB model for more than 3TB total. The 4TB prices you found are not outrageous, but they’re still a significant amount to spend, so I’d only choose one if you know you’ll use the capacity.
A 2TB SSD can last a long time even if it’s used mostly for games, and you shouldn’t run any SSD completely full. Try to keep roughly 15–20% of its capacity free for better performance and longevity. Black Friday discounts on SSDs aren’t guaranteed, especially if storage prices are rising; sometimes the supposed sale price is close to today’s price. If you need the space soon, buying a good-value drive now is reasonable, but waiting is worthwhile if your current setup is still manageable.
That makes sense. I can probably manage for now, so I’m wondering whether waiting could improve my options, even though there’s no guarantee the sale prices will actually be lower.

I think I probably would use more than 2TB because of the sim-racing games and other titles I play. I’m just unsure whether Black Friday might bring a better deal or whether prices could rise instead. Around €300 for 4TB would feel ideal.