I'm currently using an i7-10700K with a Radeon 9060 XT 16GB and 32GB of DDR4 memory. I've never overclocked the CPU, and the system still handles 1440p gaming at 120 FPS or more in most titles. I usually lower settings to medium while keeping textures high when I want additional performance.
I found a B760 DDR4 motherboard and an i5-14400F bundle for around $230. That price is affordable for me, but I'm unsure whether the performance increase would be meaningful or if I'm just tempted by a newer platform. I've started noticing occasional minor FPS drops in CPU-heavy games such as World of Warcraft, although everything is still generally running well.
Would this be a worthwhile upgrade, or should I keep the 10700K and save for a newer DDR5 platform such as AM5?
4 Answers
The bundle is decent value, but it isn’t an especially compelling upgrade from a 10700K. Benchmarks show gains in single-threaded and multi-threaded workloads, yet gaming results vary and are often smaller than the synthetic numbers suggest. Your GPU also has relatively low CPU overhead, so PCIe 3.0 and the older processor shouldn’t be major problems. I’d wait for a genuinely good bundle or a better-priced DDR5 platform.
The 14400F is faster on paper, but the difference probably won’t be very noticeable in your setup. At 1440p, the GPU is often the limiting factor, and the 10700K is still fairly close to the 12400F in gaming performance. Unless you’re chasing very high minimum FPS in CPU-heavy games, I’d keep your current system and wait for a stronger CPU, motherboard, and DDR5 combination.
I’d skip the 14400F upgrade for now. LGA 1700 is already a finished platform, so you’d be spending money to move from one aging platform to another with little room for future upgrades. Your 10700K still has plenty of life, especially at 1440p. Save toward a newer DDR5 system, such as AM5, where you’ll have a better upgrade path.
If you’re going to upgrade, I’d make it a larger jump rather than buying the middle of the 14th-generation lineup. Something like an AM5 X3D chip or a newer high-end gaming CPU would make more sense, although it would cost more. You could also sell the current CPU, motherboard, and RAM to reduce the price instead of giving them away.
I usually pass my old parts to a friend who’s building a first PC, which makes selling them difficult. Still, I may hold onto them this time if that helps fund a proper DDR5 upgrade.

That’s probably what I needed to hear. The 9060 XT was a big jump from my old GPU, but I’m starting to worry that DDR4 is approaching its end and don’t want to make another dead-end upgrade.