I'm planning a new PC build, but I won't have the full budget ready for about two months. GPU prices already seem to be rising, and I'm considering buying a Radeon 9070 XT now while I can afford it. The concern is that I may not be able to test it before the retailer's 30-day return period ends. Is buying the graphics card early worth the risk, or should I wait and purchase all the components together?
4 Answers
If possible, test it in a friend’s or family member’s compatible PC as soon as you buy it. Even a quick check that it posts, installs drivers, and runs a basic benchmark would catch obvious problems before the return period expires.
Waiting for a major sale and buying everything together is the safer option. Nobody can guarantee prices will rise, and they may stay flat or even drop by the time you’re ready. Unless the current price is unusually good or stock is disappearing, I’d wait.
The usual advice still applies: if you can’t test the card before the return window closes, you’re taking a real gamble. A manufacturer warranty may cover defects later, but an RMA is usually more inconvenient than simply returning a faulty card to the retailer.
It can make sense if prices are climbing and the card has a good warranty or reliable RMA process. Just research the specific manufacturer first, since support quality varies. Buying early can save money, but you’ll have to accept that the card may sit unused for a while without being tested.

Related Questions
Lenovo Thinkpad Stuck In Update Loop Install FilterDriverU2_Reload