I'm currently running a Ryzen 9 3900X, RTX 2070 Super, and 32 GB of DDR4, but the system is starting to struggle with 1440p gaming. I'm considering either keeping my AM4 platform and pairing a Ryzen 7 5800X3D with a Radeon RX 9070 XT, or selling the current PC for about $400 and building a new AM5 system around a Ryzen 7 7800X3D and the same graphics card.
The 9070 XT would carry over into a future build, but the 5800X3D would essentially be a temporary CPU because I expect to move to AM5 in a few years if RAM and SSD prices become more reasonable. The problem is that the 5800X3D currently costs about as much as the 7800X3D, while offering no future platform upgrade path. On the other hand, staying with AM4 would let me avoid buying new DDR5 memory and storage during the current price surge.
I'm also dealing with crashes and blue screens. One RAM stick, or possibly the DIMM slot beside the CPU cooler, seems to be overheating or causing boot problems. Removing and reinstalling the stick temporarily fixes the issue for several months, so I'm not sure whether the motherboard or memory is at fault.
Would it make more sense to buy a temporary AM4 gaming upgrade and wait, or should I absorb the higher memory and SSD costs and move to AM5 now? I'm also open to cheaper alternatives that would still deliver a strong 1440p gaming experience.
4 Answers
If you can afford the full AM5 build without putting yourself in a bad financial situation, it makes more sense long term. The 5800X3D would be a strong AM4 upgrade, but if it costs nearly the same as a 7800X3D, you’re paying a lot for a platform you already expect to replace. AM5 also gives you a better upgrade path and avoids buying a second motherboard and memory kit later.
Before replacing the platform, confirm what is actually causing the crashes. Run a full memory test with each stick individually and try each DIMM slot. Also check CPU and memory temperatures, inspect the cooler clearance, and test with conservative memory settings. A bad stick, slot, motherboard, or unstable memory profile can all produce similar symptoms. If one module consistently fails by itself, replace the memory rather than rebuilding the whole PC.
Buying a used replacement stick or kit could be a cheap way to stabilize the current system while you decide what to do. I wouldn’t assume the heat from the cooler is the cause until testing proves it.
There may not be a clear return to older component prices. Even if the market improves, prices could simply settle at a higher level, so waiting specifically for relief is uncertain. The practical choice is whether your current PC is holding you back right now. If 1440p performance is urgent and the system is unstable, build the platform you actually want instead of buying a temporary CPU. If you can tolerate the performance and fix the memory problem cheaply, keep AM4 and wait.
The main thing is avoiding a purchase driven only by fear of future prices. Set a budget, decide how long you’re willing to keep the current setup, and upgrade when the performance or reliability problem is no longer acceptable.
A cheaper temporary route would be a lower-cost X3D AM4 chip, such as a 5600X3D where available, or a 5500X3D from a reputable seller. Those should provide a noticeable gaming improvement over the 3900X without forcing you to buy a new board and DDR5 immediately. You could then put most of the budget into the 9070 XT and reuse it in a future AM5 build.
That’s probably the most appealing compromise if I decide the full AM5 cost is too high. I just need to make sure the cheaper CPU is a genuine bargain after shipping and warranty considerations.

That’s the part I’m stuck on. I can wait for a while, but there’s no guarantee that RAM and SSD prices will return to previous levels, so delaying the platform move is still a gamble.